DO YOU HAVE AN 8–12 YEAR OLD TYPICALLY-DEVELOPING CHILD OR A CHILD WHO IS ON THE AUTISM SPECTRUM?
Do they like computers? Do they like to participate in research? Click here to learn how your child can participate in a free study investigating the validity of a new computer-based and game-like social-emotional learning assessment tool.
IS YOUR CHILD DIAGNOSED WITH AN AUTISM SPECTRUM DISORDER and DOES YOUR CHILD STRUGGLE TO READ EMOTION FROM FACIAL EXPRESSIONS?
The Rush Neurobehavioral Center (Skokie, IL), under the direction of co-Principal Investigators Nicole Russo-Ponsaran, Ph.D. and Bernadette Evans-Smith, Ph.D., is conducting a research study investigating the efficacy of a coach– and computer-assisted intervention to train children with autism spectrum disorders to more quickly and accurately recognize emotions from facial expressions. We expect that the application of the results of this study will impact the development of intervention programs for a wide range of children with difficulties in these areas.
If your child meets the following criteria, s/he may be eligible for the research study:
· Autism spectrum disorder diagnosis
· Between the ages of 7–16 years old — broader age range!
· Average or above average intellectual functioning
· Experiences difficulty with recognizing emotion from facial expressions
What does the study involve?
· Telephone pre-screening parent interview
· The first appointment includes a parent interview and screening assessment of your child’s ability to perceive nonverbal cues from facial expressions (approx. 3 hrs)
· Twice weekly training sessions (up to 1 hr/session) for up to 8 weeks
· Immediate post assessment and follow up 4–6 weeks after completion
· Completion of questionnaires regarding your child’s social and emotional learning skills
· No fee for assessment or intervention
· Feedback for parents
To learn more and to see if your child qualifies for this research study, please contact:
Jason Johnson, B.A.
Rush University Medical Center
Rush NeuroBehavioral Center
4711 W. Golf Road, Suite 1100, Skokie, IL 60076
Date IRB Approved: 5/23/2011 Amendment Date: 9/26/2011